Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Cold Morning Pumpkin Whole Wheat Waffles


Back in the summer, I made pumpkin waffles with my old heart shaped waffle maker and put them in the freezer.  I would warm them up in the skillet with some coconut oil until they were crispy.  I ran out of them a few weeks ago.  I had some eggs that I needed to use, so I decided to make waffles in my new Belgian waffle maker. 

I have a funny story about waffles.  It was about 4 or 5 years ago, I was without an oven for a few months.   Luckily, this wasn't near any holidays.  On Sunday's, I experimented and make different kinds of waffles.  I made pecan ones, pumpkin ones and ones I found in cookbooks.

On weekend mornings, I want a big breakfast but don't want to get out in the cold.  These waffles, with  bacon and a big cup of coffee will be a delicious breakfast.

Pumpkin Whole Wheat Waffles


  • Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 16 oz. can pumpkin puree
  • 4 large eggs
  • 4 tablespoons melted coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons coconut nectar
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup ground flax seed
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Directions
  • In a medium bowl, stir together the milk, pumpkin puree, coconut oil, eggs, coconut nectar and vanilla.
  • In a medium bowl, stir together sugar, wheat flour, flax seed, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
  • Add the dry ingredients slowly with the wet ingredients until well mixed.
  • Spray waffle maker with cooking spray and pour batter onto the iron, about 1/2 cup of batter.  Cook according your waffle maker's instructions.
  • In my Belgian waffle maker, it make 8 large waffles, so if you have a smaller waffle maker, you may have more waffles.
If you don't have the coconut oil, coconut nectar or flax seed, just substitute with what you have.  It will be yummy with syrup and bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment