Pages

Monday, March 3, 2014

The Pink Thumb - Where are you Spring?

Garlic

Celebrity Tomatoes

Tomatoes

8 Ball Zucchini

A Peanut
I think everyone around here is ready for Spring.  Someone said that this is the coldest winter in about 40 years. It has been so bitterly cold.  Here in Oklahoma, it gets warm and then drastically cold.  Right now it's about 7 degrees Fahrenheit and this weekend it might be warm.

Everybody is starting to plan their gardens.  Well, plan theirs since it is so cold. Mine is going to be simple this year. Last year, I planted mine too early and about lost half of my garden even though I had to cover the garden with buckets.  I'm going to plant tomatoes, onions, zucchini and peanuts.  Maybe a few other things might go in their. I also have 6 Apache thorn-less blackberry plants.

This last summer was their first time to produce berries. It was really fun to pick them off.  My little puppy, Jessi tried to eat the berries.  I had to pick them before she could get to them.  I'm going to order a few more.  The blackberry's that you order come as bareroot, with just the roots and the stem, which may be about a foot tall.  The plants from the store, actually come in a pot with soil and are about 1 1/2 feet with leaves.

I don't know what it is, but every time that I try to grow yellow squash, they turn up orange and hard.  They also don't get big.  It must be my soil.  I don't plant stuff that I know that won't grow.  We've grown corn before but it's so hard to pick it at the right time. 

I'll probably also plant okra in the middle of the summer.  Last summer, I got busy and forgot to plant them.  They grow better when it's hot and it gets hot in Oklahoma.

1 comment: